A member of HCMP’s environmental practice team, Mike’s practice focuses on identifying and mitigating environmental risk in transactions and assisting with environmental and worker health and safety compliance matters. He has extensive experience conducting environmental, health and safety (EHS) due diligence, overseeing environmental site assessments and regulatory compliance audits, and negotiating the environmental provisions of contracts. Mike supports clients in hazardous waste cleanup, cost recovery and allocation of environmental liabilities under the Washington Model Toxics Control Act (MTCA) and the Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation, and Liability Act (CERCLA). He has helped clients with emergency response and policy development for worker health and safety matters. He has worked across a range of industries, including real estate, manufacturing, waste management, traditional and renewable energy, agriculture, and extractive industries.
Mike also has experience advising clients on environmental, social and corporate governance (ESG) initiatives. In addition, his practice has included work in project finance and energy development. Mike was previously seconded to a leading power generator, which helped inform his dedication to understanding his clients’ businesses and delivering practical advice.
Mike maintains an active pro bono practice focused on improving environmental and social governance in developing countries. This practice has included in-country work in Cambodia and Myanmar.
Assisted a nursing home with a response to a notice of violation related to COVID-19.
Prepared COVID-19 reopening policies for workplaces in jurisdictions across the United States.
- Paul D. Tanaka, Stefanie I. Gitler, Michael J. Mahoney and Jennifer A. Pierce, Recent Developments in the Regulation of Methane Venting and Flaring from Natural Gas Wells on Public and Tribal Lands and Potential Next Steps, 18 PRATT’S ENERGY LAW REPORT 241 (2018)
- Michael Mahoney, Article, Perpetuating the Cycle: The Failure of APHIS and EPA to Consider the Cumulative Impact of Pairing Herbicides with Herbicide-Resistant Crops, 40 COLUM. J. ENVTL. L. 183 (2015)
- Michael Mahoney, Note, Panthers, Turtles, and Bears: The Deterrent Effect of States’ Felony Penalties for Takings of Their Endangered and Threatened Species, 26 GEO. INT’L ENVTL. L. REV. 231 (2014)
- Co-organizer and presenter at “Training Workshop on Public Participation during EIAs — Preparing Communities for Constructive Engagement”, Dawei, Tanintharyi Region, Myanmar, August 26–28, 2017.
- Co-organizer and presenter at “Training Workshop on Assessing and Managing Environmental and Social Impacts — Preparing Communities for Constructive Engagement”, Dawei, Tanintharyi Region, Myanmar, November 22–24, 2016.
- Co-organizer and presenter at “Training Workshop on Assessing and Managing Environmental and Social Impacts — International Standards and Good Practices”, Kyaukphyu, Rakhine State, Myanmar, June 2–4, 2016.
- King County Bar Association (Environmental and Land Use Law Section)
- State Bar of California
- California Lawyers Association (Environmental Law Section)
- American Bar Association (Environment, Energy and Resources Section)
- Georgetown University and Georgetown University Law Center, Alumni Admissions Program Volunteer
- Associate, Kirkland & Ellis LLP (2016-2020)
- Kirkland & Ellis Pro Bono Service Award for Outstanding Service — 2016, 2017, and 2018
- Associate, Milbank, Tweed, Hadley & McCloy LLP (2014–2016)
- Pro Bono Fellow, Natural Resources Defense Council (2014–2015)
- Law Clerk, Sierra Club (2014)
- Summer Associate, Milbank, Tweed, Hadley & McCloy LLP (2013)
- Law Clerk, Natural Resources Defense Council (2012)
- Law Clerk, Conservation Law Foundation (2011)
- J.D., Georgetown University Law Center, 2014
Submissions Editor, The Georgetown International Environmental Law Review
- B.A., Georgetown University, Linguistics, magna cum laude, 2006
In his free time, Mike likes to explore the outdoors with his wife and their two dogs and to travel whenever possible. He also enjoys following the NBA and college basketball, cooking and baking, reading nonfiction, gardening and listening to true crime podcasts.