Guiding clients through the challenges and complexities of environmental and natural resources law.
HCMP’s environmental law practice is on the leading edge of complex environmental and natural resources issues in the Pacific Northwest. HCMP finds cost-effective solutions that enhance business opportunities for its diverse clients while balancing the importance of environmental protection in our region. The U.S. News and Best Lawyers annual rankings consistently identify HCMP as a “Best Law Firm” nationally in the areas of environmental law, natural resources law, and energy law.
HCMP’s environmental attorneys have a depth of experience helping clients understand and navigate the complexities of federal, state, and local environmental laws and regulations. This experience ranges from counseling clients on the myriad number of environmental issues that arise in real estate and business transactions; to managing the environmental remediation and regulatory closure of complex contaminated properties; and, when necessary, representing client’s interests in environmental litigation and alternative dispute resolution.
Our environmental clients consist of national and regional utility companies, manufacturers, real estate developers, mining companies, banks, timber companies, public entities, and commercial businesses, including:
- Real Estate Transactions and Property Redevelopment: HCMP frequently advises property owners and developers regarding environmental issues that arise with their real estate transactions and development projects including office, mixed-use, multi-family, and industrial properties.
- Retail Petroleum Contamination: HCMP represents a major petroleum company in its handling of claims and cleanup of former gas station sites throughout Washington.
- Alternative Risk Mitigation: HCMP assisted a large national bank with the structuring of a complex loan transaction utilizing alternative risk mitigation strategies, such as lender’s environmental insurance, to allow for the redevelopment of a formerly contaminated aerospace manufacturing property with over 150 residential units.
- Municipal and Other Public Projects: HCMP worked closely with the Seattle Housing Authority in its handling of environmental aspects of the redevelopment of Yesler Terrace.
Broad Environmental Experience
HCMP’s comprehensive knowledge of environmental laws and regulations allows its attorneys to provide valuable input and guidance on a broad range of environmental and natural resources issues, including:
- Environmental due diligence (Phase I and II)
- Asbestos abatement and hazardous materials management
- Brownfields redevelopment and financing contaminated properties
- Cleanup of contaminated sites and cost recovery litigation
- Environmental insurance coverage
- Climate change
- District Energy
- Sustainable development and green leasing
- Living Building Challenge projects
- NEPA/SEPA determinations and environmental documents
- Shoreline regulations and permitting
- Hydraulic and Army Corps permit approvals
- Water quality and stormwater regulation and permitting
- Water rights
HCMP’s environmental attorneys are responsive, creative, efficient, and have the substantive expertise to help clients achieve success in our challenging environmental legal landscape.