Clients value HCMP’s team approach to successful, cost-effective, carefully structured deals.
Real estate is a cornerstone of HCMP’s work. HCMP has extensive and recognized experience in structuring, planning, negotiating, documenting and closing significant real estate transactions. With a deep understanding of both the legal and business in all types of real estate transactions, HCMP regularly handles a broad spectrum of real estate activities that includes acquisitions and dispositions, leasing, development projects, and complex financings and restructurings. Our clients include nonprofit corporations, equity investors, real property owners, developers, and lenders.
HCMP Real Estate attorneys work on every aspect of a project’s lifecycle including, without limitation, site targeting and selection, feasibility, financing and development, and operation, leasing and disposition. Our experience encompasses a wide range of property types, including residential developments and multi-family buildings, commercial office properties, retail centers, industrial properties, hotels and resorts, medical facilities and centers, and municipal and government properties. Further, in instances where disputes have arisen, HCMP offers broad experience in real estate dispute resolution.
- Suncadia Resort. HCMP drafted all of the community governance documents for the Suncadia resort near Cle Elum, Washington. HCMP continues to represent Suncadia on a variety of development-related matters.
- U-District Station Condominium. HCMP can assist clients with typical condominium projects. But HCMP also helps clients use condominium structures to achieve unique development goals, like HCMP’s work on condominiumization of the developable area above Sound Transit’s U-District Station.
- South Lake Union Biomedical Research Campus. HCMP counseled the non-profit entity responsible for the development and leasing of a biomedical research campus in South Lake Union. HCMP has broad experience with public-private partnerships that use tax-exempt bonds and other forms of public finance to develop such projects.
- Laird Norton Properties. HCMP advises Laird Norton Properties with its national portfolio of office, mixed-use, multi-family, and industrial properties and assists with development, purchases, dispositions, and joint ventures, like its investment in Stone34, a pioneering project in Seattle’s Deep Green Pilot Program.
- CalPortland. The explosive growth of the Puget Sound region requires concrete—and lots of it. HCMP represents CalPortland in siting, developing, buying, selling, and leasing industrial sites to keep its production of building materials on course.
In response to the increasingly complex real estate market, HCMP’s real estate team has the ability to guide clients in a variety of areas, including:
- Site targeting and selection
- Structuring entities for development, financing, and protection of real estate projects
- Purchase and sale agreements, construction agreements, and leases
- Community governance documents for master planned developments
- Public-private projects and related public finance
- Federal and state tax implications of real estate transactions and tax-free exchanges, including delayed and reverse exchanges
- Residential and commercial condominium developments and homeowners associations
- Commercial and retail leasing
- Environmental issues including those arising with landfills, transfer stations, and other solid waste projects
- Hospitality industry projects
- Negotiating with federal, state, and local agencies exercising jurisdiction over a client’s property
- Covenants and easements, including conservation easements
- Real estate related financings and capitalizations
- Creation and structuring of limited liability companies and other joint ventures for purposes of real estate development and disposition
At one time or another, HCMP has encountered all of the issues that clients might face with real estate development. HCMP is available to help at every stage of your project.
HCMP's Real Estate law practice is also consistently ranked a top metropolitan Seattle practice by U.S. News-Best Lawyers® Best Law Firms.