Alex is a principle at the firm and an experienced trial lawyer, focusing his practice on business, securities, and real estate litigation. In the business context, Alex has represented corporate clients—large and small—in domestic and international commercial disputes and corporate M&A disputes. He also works with corporate and university clients on various employment issues, including investigation and termination of employees for misconduct. In real estate and land use matters, Alex works with clients to resolve issues as they arise and document their property rights. When necessary, he represents clients in court to protect those rights. He is also well-versed in securities law, having represented both buyers and sellers in cases involving federal and state securities laws and regulations.
Additional areas of focus include:
- Professional fiduciary and liability litigation
- Intellectual property litigation
- Bankruptcy and insolvency litigation
Before attending law school and joining HCMP, Alex worked in the biotechnology industry as an entrepreneur and research scientist working on computational biology, bioinformatics, pharmaceutical target discovery, and development of biological threat detection devices for defense and national security applications.
- Experience counseling financial institutions regarding litigation and bankruptcy matters, ranging from the creation and protection of security interests to enforcing lenders' rights.
- Advising and advocating on behalf of businesses in commercial disputes involving investments in real estate and complex financial instruments.
- Litigating to protect property owners' rights in trial courts and courts of appeal.
- Author, Ask a Legal Professional, Puget Sound Business Journal (Rights and Obligations if a Neighbor Encroaches on Your Property), August 2018
- Author, Ask a Legal Professional, Puget Sound Business Journal (Considerations for Commercial Landlords When Leasing to Cannabis Businesses), September 2017
- Author, Ask a Legal Professional, Puget Sound Business Journal (Seattle Residential Rental Ordinance), September 2016
- Author, Ask a Legal Professional, Puget Sound Business Journal (Condominium Rent Restrictions), September 2015
- Author, Ask a Legal Professional, Puget Sound Business Journal (Seattle Rental Registration and Inspection Ordinance), September 2014
- Author, Ask a Legal Professional, Puget Sound Business Journal (Deed of Trust Release), September 2013
- Speaker, "School District Liability to Students for Peer Harassment, Intimidation, and Bullying," at American Civil Liberties Union of Washington's CLE presentation, "Law & Liberty: Student Bullying and Harassment," on March 22, 2011
- Speaker, "Peer Harassment, Intimidation, and Bullying: Guidance for Students," at American Civil Liberties Union of Washington's conference, "Student Conference on Civil Liberties," on April 14, 2011
- Washington State Bar Association
- Asian Bar Association of Washington
- King County Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- University of Washington School of Law
Coach, Vis International Commercial Arbitration Competition
Recognized as a Super Lawyer by Washington Super Lawyers, 2020.
- J.D., University of Washington School of Law, 2008
Order of the Barristers
President, Moot Court Honor Board, 2007 - 2008
- M.B.S., Keck Graduate Institute of Applied Life Sciences, 2002
- B.A., Whitman College, in Economics and Physics with Honors, 2000
Alex grew up Washington, and likes to spend his free time enjoying the company of his friends and family in his beautiful home state - golfing, sailing, skiing, and riding his bicycles and motorcycles.