Laurie’s practice focuses on commercial litigation. She has represented individuals and businesses in a broad range of matters, including disputes related to contract interpretation and enforcement, real property transactions, construction defects, product liability, lender liability, and securities. She also has extensive experience with employment matters, including wrongful discharge, employment discrimination and sexual harassment. She practices in state and federal trial and appellate courts, before administrative bodies, and in arbitration and mediation forums.
- Lead counsel in the successful defense of retaliation claims brought by the Department of Labor. Judgment of dismissal entered after a bench trial in Federal District Court in Seattle.
- Lead counsel in the successful defense of disability discrimination claim. Case was dismissed on a motion before trial, and dismissal was upheld on appeal.
- Trial counsel in defense of claims for breach of contract, fraud and misrepresentation. The case was tried to a jury in Federal District Court in Juneau, Alaska, and settled after the jury returned a verdict that was favorable to our client.
- Lead counsel for regional lender in defense of lender liability claims brought in Federal District Court in Seattle. Case settled on favorable terms on the eve of trial.
- Lead counsel for minority shareholder in claim against a company that redeemed his shares at book value shortly before a successful IPO. Case settled on favorable terms before trial.
- Trial counsel for non-profit low-income housing provider involving the federal Low-Income Housing Tax Credit Statute.
- Defense counsel in a class action filed in Federal District Court in Oregon asserting claims for personal injury and property damage arising from a turpentine spill. We defeated plaintiffs’ motion for class certification, and the case settled on favorable terms shortly thereafter.
- Defense counsel in an antitrust class action brought by salmon fishermen in Bristol Bay, Alaska. Plaintiffs sought compensatory and punitive damages totaling $975 million. Case settled on favorable terms prior to trial.
- Lead counsel for defendant in a claim for defective residential windows. Case settled after bench trial in King County Superior Court.
- Lead counsel for local homebuilder defending against construction defect claims involving unsettled issues of state arbitration law decided in our client’s favor by the Washington Supreme Court.
- Lead counsel for condominium developer in defense of claims related to the building envelope and other alleged defects. Successfully negotiated dismissal in exchange for assignment of claims.
- Lead counsel for local homebuilder defending against claims of construction defect. Using a neutral inspection team, we negotiated an agreed scope of repair and successfully resolved the matter prior to trial.
- Lead counsel in defense of parent company of the manufacturer of carburetor floats against claim that a defective float was subsequently installed in an airplane caused the plane to crash. The case settled during trial, with no contribution from the client.
- Lead counsel for defendants in numerous product liability jury trials claiming damages due to exposure to asbestos-containing products.
- Defense counsel for a national bank in securities actions arising from the sale of mortgage backed securities.
- Counsel for the University of Washington in student conduct cases brought under Title IX.
- Trial counsel in a jury trial of nineteen wrongful death claims arising out of the eruption of Mt. St. Helens. Cases settled on favorable terms after verdict.
Laurie speaks at continuing legal education programs on topics related to trial practice and alternative dispute resolution; current developments in the law related to sexual harassment and disability discrimination; and the successful management of diverse workforces.
- King County Bar Foundation, Board of Trustees
- Washington State Bar Association, Litigation Section
- Idaho State Bar Association, Litigation Section
- Washington Women Lawyers
- Pro Bono representation of Northwest Harvest and Habitat for Humanity Seattle/ South King County
- King County Superior Court Dependency/CASA Program, Volunteer Lawyer
- Senior Fellow, Litigation Counsel of America
- A/V Preeminent Lawyer, Martindale Hubbell
- J.D., Harvard Law School, cum laude, 1984
- A.B., Vassar College, with honors, 1981
My favorite summer vacation destination is Desolation Sound.