Jessica practices civil litigation and appellate advocacy on behalf of public, private, and non-profit clients. Her experience spans all levels of state court practice, federal trial court and appellate work, alternative dispute resolution, and administrative hearings and reviews. Jessica has a varied commercial litigation practice, and she also especially enjoys working on matters involving complex procedural questions, constitutional law, and civil rights. Prior to joining HCMP, Jessica served as a law clerk to Justice Mary Fairhurst of the Washington Supreme Court and an extern to Judge Robert S. Lasnik of the United States District Court for the Western District of Washington.
- First chair representation of a university in administrative and court hearings.
- Experienced with Title IX issues as they relate to universities.
- Represent clients in appellate cases throughout Washington and in the Michigan Court of Appeals.
- Experience representing a variety of clients, from large institutional employers to individual employees, in employment litigation and dispute resolution, including wage claims and discrimination issues.
- Represent a prominent Washington nonprofit in a federal lawsuit to protect its interests in affordable housing projects.
- Experience in a variety of real property disputes and litigation, including cases involving real estate purchase option issues and boundary disputes.
- Serve as local counsel in cases with complex substantive and procedural issues, including commercial disputes and products liability cases.
Author, "Racial Impact Statements: Considering the Consequences of Racial Disproportionalities in the Criminal Justice System," 89 Wash. L. Review 1425, 2014
- Washington Women Lawyers State Board of Directors
President-Elect, 2019 - Present
Secretary, 2018 - 2019
Public Service Vice President, 2017 - 2018
- Seattle Clemency Project
Pro Bono Counsel
- Thomas Tang Moot Court Team, University of Washington School of Law
- Volunteer Professional Mentor, University of Washington School of Law
- Washington State Bar Association
- King County Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association, Western District of Washington
Repeatedly recognized as a Rising Star by Washington Super Lawyers, most recently in 2021.
Clerk for Justice Mary Fairhurst, Washington Supreme Court
Extern for Judge Robert S. Lasnik, U.S. District Court
University of Washington Law
- Order of the Barristers
- Order of the Coif
- CALI Award (top grade) Torts; Legal Analysis, Research, & Writing; Civil Procedure II; Natural Resources Law; Administrative Law
- Washington Law Review, Chief Notes and Comments Editor
- Moot Court Honor Board
- Thomas Tang Moot Court Team; 2014 Judson Falknor 2L/3L Appellate Advocacy Champion; 2013 HCMP Appellate Advocacy Competition Finalist (of 160 participants), Best Brief, and Second Place Speaker Award; 2012 Mock Trial Second Place Speaker Award
- Student Director of the Legal Writing Center
- Research Assistant for book chapters on administrative law and election law
University of Puget Sound: Summa Cum Laude; Phi Beta Kappa; Dean's List
- Phi Beta Kappa; Phi Kappa Phi; Mortar Board; Phi Eta Sigma (honor society for freshmen); Lambda Pi Eta (National Communication Association Honor Society)
- Peer Advisor Coordinator; Course Assistant; Club Soccer President/Captain; summer research grant recipient
- Northwest Communication Association “Top Undergraduate Paper”
- J.D., University of Washington School of Law, 2015
- B.A. in Communication Studies and in Politics & Government, University of Puget Sound, 2012
Having grown up in the foothills of Mount Rainier, I enjoy many of the outdoor activities that the Pacific Northwest has to offer, from hiking and camping to fishing and razor clam digging on the coast. I embrace my family tradition of travelling to compete in barbecue competitions and I occasionally author articles in barbecue-themed publications.