Robert's practice focuses on representation of corporations, limited liability companies, partnerships, and individuals in business and corporate law matters, with an emphasis on securities, mergers and acquisitions, and technology issues. He also has extensive experience with employment counseling, including employment policies and agreements, compliance issues, and noncompetition agreements.
- Represented Rane Corporation, a manufacturer of high-end audio equipment for professional musicians and DJs, in the sale of its assets to inMusic.
- Counsel to Novo Fogo, an importer of the Brazilian spirit cachaça. We have represented Novo Fogo in the formation of the company, early-stage financing, and the acquisition of a distillery in Morretes, in the heart of Brazil’s coastal rainforest.
- Represented LaCroix Industries, Inc., a supplier of complex metallic formed and machined parts and assemblies for the global aerospace industry, in the sale of its assets to Accurus Aerospace Corporation, a subsidiary of private equity firm Liberty Hall Capital Partners.
- Special counsel to Gaco Western, a manufacturer and distributer of roof coatings, insulation and other products for commercial, industrial, and residential applications. We have represented the company in business transactions, corporate and shareholder matters, and intellectual property protection and licensing.
- Represented the owners of the Mann Building, a historic property in downtown Seattle that is the home of the Wild Ginger restaurant. We assisted the company with a complex restructuring that involved two securities offerings (a multi-million-dollar offering of one class of limited liability company interests and a separate offering of another class of interests to investors who made cash investments in exchange for an allocation of historic rehabilitation tax credits resulting from the renovation of the building), construction and permanent financing, negotiation of commercial office leases with several tenants, and a myriad of other issues. We continue to represent the company and the Wild Ginger.
- Counsel to Envision Telephony, Inc., which develops and markets computer telephony software products. We assisted Envision's founders in the formation of the company in 1994, and we have since represented the company in a wide range of matters, including software license agreements, employment issues, and several rounds of early-stage financing and related securities issues.
- King County Bar Association (Technology Section)
- Washington State Bar Association (Business and Intellectual Property Sections)
- American Bar Association (Business Law Section)
- Global Partnerships, Board of Directors, 2016 - present
- Citizens for Pike Place Market, Board of Directors, 2008 - 2010
- First Place School, Board of Directors, 2005 - 2012
- Pike Place Market Preservation & Development Authority ("PDA"), Council member and former Chair, 1998 - 2006
- Repeatedly recognized by The Best Lawyers in America® in the field of Corporate Law, most recently for 2024.
- Named the 2023 Best Lawyers in America : Lawyer of the Year - Seattle in the field of Business Organizations (including LLCs and Partnerships).
- Legislative Assistant to U.S. Senator John C. Danforth, with responsibility for defense, foreign policy, and budget matters, 1982 to 1986.
- J.D., University of Virginia, 1989
- B.A., Princeton University, 1982
Trying to keep up with my son and daughter. I also like to spend time outdoors, especially rowing, cycling and skiing. Other priorities include promoting the Pike Place Market and the abolition of the designated hitter.