Matt represents clients in a range of real estate transactions, including property acquisitions and sales, leases and ground leases, joint ventures, construction and development contracts, formation of commercial and residential condominiums and homeowners’ associations, and financing transactions. Matt leverages his proactive, detail-oriented approach to solve problems, provide practical advice to clients, and close deals. His work frequently involves complex transactions for clients in the healthcare, professional sports, building materials and asset management industries. Matt also partners with HCMP’s land use attorneys to provide full-service representation to developers. Prior to joining HCMP, Matt attended law school and started his real estate practice in Los Angeles. He maintains his license to practice in California.
- Represented major professional sports team in the negotiation of long-term leases for its new team headquarters and training facility.
- Represented institutional asset manager in purchase of $89M logistics center in Austin, Texas.
- Represented multifamily developer in the sale of two projects in Seattle within weeks of project completion.
- Represented family-owned concrete mold manufacturing business in the sale and leaseback of its manufacturing facility.
- Pro bono representation of overnight shelter in modification of loan on shelter house.
- Represented the ownership group of a major professional sports franchise in the long-term lease of a 43,000+ square foot commercial property and commercially significant parking rights in Seattle’s stadium district, including the negotiation of a right of first refusal to purchase the building.
- Represented a regional healthcare facility restructure its portfolio of off-campus emergency-departments, including negotiating and drafting a complex suite of ground lease, leaseback, purchase-and-sale, and financing documents.
- Represented a California public pension fund in the formation of a joint venture with a national developer for the development of a 22-story luxury apartment building with ground floor retail in downtown Los Angeles with a total project cost exceeding $200M.
- Represented a California public pension fund in obtaining a $990M portfolio loan that was secured by 17 different commercial properties, including multi-family, industrial and office properties.
- Represented a California public pension fund in the formation of a joint venture with a national developer for a multi-phase development of a large parcel of land in a fast-growing corporate center in the Dallas area, including the construction of an office building on a build-to-suit basis for a pharmaceutical company while also providing flexibility for the developer to pursue other opportunities on the remainder of the parcel.
- Represented one of the largest hospital systems in Los Angeles in connection with numerous medical office leasing matters during a period of rapid expansion.
- Represented a large multi-family developer in connection with its acquisition of a $43M parcel of land and its development of a 650-unit apartment building within a mixed-use development in the Seattle area.
- Moderator, “Developments & Investments Giving Life to the Waterfront," Bisnow’s The Future of Seattle's Waterfront Event, 2023
- Speaker, “Documenting and Mitigating Entitlements Issues in Purchase and Sale Agreements,” Seminar Group conference on Permitting Strategies in the Northwest, December 2021
- Author, "'Why property ownsers should review construction design contract modifications to reduce risk", Puget Sound Business Journal, August 2022
- King County Bar Association, Real Property, Probate and Trust section
- ROOTS Young Adult Shelter, Board member
- Recognized by The Best Lawyers in America®: Ones to Watch in the field of Real Estate Law, most recently for 2024
- Associate, Cox, Castle & Nicholson LLP, 2018 - 2020
- Associate, Kennerly Lamishaw & Rossi LLP, 2015 - 2018
- Judicial Extern, Judge Stephen J. Hillman, United States District Court, Central District of California
J.D., UCLA School of Law, 2015
- Moot Court Honors, 2013-2014 Academic Year
- Journal of Environmental Law & Policy, Articles Editor
- Landlord-Tenant Clinic, Volunteer
B.A., Bucknell University, 2008, magna cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa
I am happy to be back home in the PNW after spending a number of years away. I spend almost all of my free time with my wife and two sons, and I try to squeeze in a hike or a long ride on my road bike whenever possible.
- Conversational Spanish