Matt has represented a range of clients of varying size, from large institutional investors and lenders to smaller companies and individual real estate investors in a multitude of real estate transactions, including acquisitions and dispositions, joint ventures, financing transactions and leasing. He has a particularly strong background negotiating complex joint ventures for the ownership and development of real estate projects. Dedicated to helping his clients pursue their business interests, Matt leverages his proactive, detail-oriented approach to solve problems and close deals.
In addition, Matt helps support the firm's Lender Services group. He draws from his prior experience representing borrowers and lenders in real estate financing transactions, with an emphasis on construction loans and revolving credit facilities.
Prior to joining HCMP, Matt was an associate with a large real estate law firm in Los Angeles, where he primarily represented public pension funds in high value transactions, and also worked for a boutique real estate law firm.
- Represented a regional healthcare facility restructure its portfolio of off-campus emergency-departments, including negotiating and drafting a complex suite of ground lease, leaseback, purchase-and-sale, and financing documents.
- Represented a California public pension fund in the formation of a joint venture with a national developer for the development of a 22-story luxury apartment building with ground floor retail in downtown Los Angeles with a total project cost exceeding $200M.
- Represented a California public pension fund in obtaining a $990M portfolio loan that was secured by 17 different commercial properties, including multi-family, industrial and office properties.
- Represented a California public pension in the formation of a joint venture with a national developer for a multi-phase development of a large parcel of land in a fast-growing corporate center in the Dallas area, including the construction of an office building on a build-to-suit basis for a pharmaceutical company while also providing flexibility for the developer to pursue other opportunities on the remainder of the parcel.
- Represented one of the largest hospital systems in Los Angeles in connection with numerous medical office leasing matters during a period of rapid expansion.
- Represented a large multi-family developer in connection with its acquisition of a $43M parcel of land and its development of a 650-unit apartment building within a mixed-use development in the Seattle area.
Associate, Cox, Castle & Nicholson LLP, 2018 - 2020
Associate, Kennerly Lamishaw & Rossi LLP, 2015 - 2018
Judicial Extern, Judge Stephen J. Hillman, United States District Court, Central District of California
J.D., UCLA School of Law, 2015
- Moot Court Honors, 2013-2014 Academic Year
- Journal of Environmental Law & Policy, Articles Editor
- Landlord-Tenant Clinic, Volunteer
B.A., Bucknell University, 2008, magna cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa
I grew up in the Seattle area and, after spending a number of years away, including attending law school and starting my real estate practice in Los Angeles, I recently moved back to Seattle. I spend almost all my free time with my wife and son, and I try to squeeze in a hike or a long ride on my road bike whenever possible.
- Conversational Spanish