Matthew’s practice focuses on a variety of aspects of corporate and commercial law, including mergers and acquisitions, corporate governance, commercial lending and business planning. His experience includes a wide range of transactions involving the technology, industrial and real estate sectors. Prior to joining Hillis Clark Martin & Peterson, Matthew worked in the corporate group of an international law firm in New York City.
- Represented The O.R. Company, a surgical device company, in its sale to Symmetry Surgical, Inc.
- Represented Waste Control in its sale to Waste Connections.
- Represented the seller in International Schools Partnership’s acquisition of the Bellevue Children’s Academy and related assets.
- Represented Acorda Therapeutics, Inc. in its acquisition of Civitas Therapeutics, Inc.
- Represented Air Products and Chemicals in its agreement with Pershing Square Capital Management following the 9.8% investment position taken by Bill Ackman.
- Represented Cadiz Inc. in connection with its comprehensive debt refinancing.
- Represented Elan Corporation, plc in its $3.25 billion sale of its interest in TYSABRI, a multiple sclerosis treatment, to Biogen Idec.
- Represented Elan Corporation, plc in connection with its $1 billion share repurchase.
- Represented Elan Corporation, plc in its attempted $1 billion acquisition from Theravance, Inc. of a 21% participation interest in potential future royalty payments related to four respiratory programs partnered with GlaxoSmithKline plc.
- Represented Elan Corporation, plc in the spinoff of a substantial portion of its drug discovery business platform.
- Represented Forbes Media LLC in its sale of a majority stake to a group of international investors as part of the Company's global growth strategy.
- Represented national bank to close a loan secured by a shopping center in New England.
- Represented The Pasha Group, a family-owned global logistics and transportation company, on its agreement to acquire the Hawaii trade-lane business of Horizon Lines, Inc., a Jones Act container shipping and integrated logistics Company, for approximately $141.5 million.
- Represented Towers Watson in its acquisition of Extend Health, Inc.
- J.D., University of Virginia School of Law, 2011, Order of the Coif
- B.A., The College of William and Mary, 2008, cum laude
I am extremely excited to have moved with my wife to Seattle from the East Coast. I enjoy all the activities that the Pacific Northwest has to offer, including hiking, skiing and sailing. I’m also happy to play any and all sports – basketball, baseball, soccer and even ice hockey.