Laurie’s practice focuses on commercial litigation. She has represented individuals and businesses in a broad range of matters, including disputes related to contract interpretation and enforcement, real property transactions, construction defects, lender liability, and securities. She also has extensive experience with employment matters, including wrongful discharge, employment discrimination and sexual harassment. She practices in state and federal trial and appellate courts, before administrative bodies, and in arbitration and mediation forums.
In January of 2018, Laurie was appointed Managing Principal of the firm.
- Trial counsel for defendant in a four month jury trial in Federal District Court in Juneau, Alaska. Plaintiffs brought claims for breach of contract, fraud and misrepresentation, which they claimed caused their business to fail. Case settled after the jury returned a verdict that was favorable to our client.
- Lead counsel in the successful defense of disability discrimination claim. Case was dismissed on a motion before trial, and dismissal was upheld on appeal. Winn v. Alaska Airlines, 2004 WL 2153858 (Wn. App. Div. 1).
- Lead counsel for minority shareholder in claim against the company that redeemed his shares at book value shortly before a successful IPO. Case settled on favorable terms before trial.
- Defense counsel in a class action filed in Federal District Court in Oregon asserting claims for personal injury and property damage arising from a turpentine spill. We defeated plaintiffs’ motion for class certification, and the case settled on favorable terms shortly thereafter.
- Defense counsel in an antitrust class action brought by salmon fishermen in Bristol Bay, Alaska. Plaintiffs sought compensatory and punitive damages totaling $975 million. Case settled on favorable terms prior to trial.
- Trial counsel for defendant in a claim for defective residential windows. Case settled after bench trial in King County Superior Court.
- Lead counsel for condominium developer in defense of claims related to the building envelope and other alleged defects. Successfully negotiated dismissal in exchange for assignment of claims.
- Lead counsel for local homebuilder defending against claims of construction defect. Using a neutral inspection team, we negotiated an agreed scope of repair and successfully resolved the matter prior to trial.
- Trial counsel in a two month jury trial of nineteen wrongful death claims arising out of the eruption of Mt. St. Helens. Cases settled on favorable terms after verdict.
- Trial counsel for defendants in numerous product liability jury trials claiming damages due to exposure to asbestos-containing products.
- Trial counsel in a wide variety of securities cases before state and federal courts and before NASD, NYSE, and FINRA arbitration tribunals.
- Lead counsel in numerous employment disputes that were successfully resolved using alternative dispute resolution procedures.
Laurie speaks at continuing legal education programs on topics related to trial practice and alternative dispute resolution; current developments in the law related to sexual harassment and disability discrimination; and the successful management of diverse workforces.
- Senior Fellow, Litigation Counsel of America
- King County Bar Association, Board of Trustees
- Washington State Bar Association, Litigation Section
- Idaho State Bar Association, Litigation Section
- Washington Women Lawyers
- Pro Bono representation of Northwest Harvest
- King County Superior Court Dependency/CASA Program, Volunteer Lawyer
- United Way, Volunteer
A/V Preeminent Lawyer, Martindale Hubbell
- J.D., Harvard Law School, cum laude, 1984
- A.B., Vassar College, with honors, 1981
Favorite summer vacation: cruising in Desolation Sound.