Kurt’s work runs the gamut of transactions dealing with real estate. He has experience working on a range of office, multifamily, industrial, and retail projects, including documenting complicated transactions for clients in the education, healthcare, and life-sciences industries.
Kurt routinely assists clients with acquisitions and sales of real property and commercial lease agreements. Kurt has helped clients with creative uses of air-space condominium structures to put real estate assets to their highest and best use. Kurt assists clients with structuring joint ventures for the ownership and development of real estate projects. And he assists lenders and borrowers with commercial, construction, and permanent financing.
Kurt currently serves as an adjunct faculty member of the University of Washington School of Law where he teaches Civil Procedure.
- Represented a regional healthcare facility restructure its portfolio of off-campus emergency-departments, including negotiating and drafting a complex suite of ground lease, leaseback, purchase-and-sale, and financing documents.
- Represent a real estate investment firm with sale, development, leasing, and operational matters relating to its national portfolio of industrial and commercial properties.
- Represented landowner in an eastern-Washington conservation project, including assistance with water-rights adjudication and the division and transfer of water rights.
- Represent charter and private school clients with siting and assemblage, financing, purchase, development, and operational matters.
- Represent a regional healthcare network in connection with purchases, sales, and medical-office leasing matters, including the purchase of another regional healthcare network and its real estate assets for more than $400,000,000.
- Represent a church client with air-space condominiumization of its real estate asset and sale of an air-space unit for development of a condominium tower.
- Represent a real estate joint venture in connection with acquisitions of commercial office and mixed-use properties in Seattle, Portland, Denver, and Salt Lake City.
- Represent developers in the preparation of condominium and community governance documents for residential, commercial, and mixed-use projects.
- Represent a regional resort community on a variety of development-related matters.
- Represented the seller of more than 50,000 acres of land to the State of Washington to establish Washington’s first community forest.
- Pro bono representation through the Washington Lawyers for the Arts of children’s book authors in a dispute with their publisher.
- Part of the firm’s pro bono team representing a same-sex couple in a nationally prominent discrimination lawsuit against a Washington business, Arlene’s Flowers, that refused to provide flowers for the couple’s wedding.
- Kurt is an adjunct faculty member of the University of Washington School of Law, where he teaches Civil Procedure, 2016 - present.
- Panelist, Understanding Your Legal Rights During COVID-19: Real Estate, Washington Lawyers for the Arts Online Workshop, July 2020.
- Author, Ask a Legal Professional, Puget Sound Business Journal (Form 17 Disclosure Statements), September 2018.
- Author, Ask a Legal Professional, Puget Sound Business Journal (Property Easements and Licenses), October 2017.
- Author, Ask a Legal Professional, Puget Sound Business Journal (Notarizing Amended Lease), August 2016.
- Author, Ask a Legal Professional, Puget Sound Business Journal (Warranty of Seisin), March 2015.
- "Ethical Considerations in Data Security," 2014 Cyber-Risk Management Program for General Business Lawyers, Seattle University Continuing Legal Education.
- "Turn-of-the-Century Disciplinary Notices," NWLawyer, Dec. 2014 - Jan. 2015.
- "Moving Forward: An Interview with Seattle University School of Law Dean Annette Clark," NWLawyer, March 2014.
- Author, Ask a Legal Professional, Puget Sound Business Journal (Easements), March 2014.
- Author, Ask a Legal Professional, Puget Sound Business Journal (Abandoning Commercial Leases), May 2013
- "If You Build It, They Will Sue: Legal Challenges Facing Stadium and Arena Development Projects," 2013 ABA Annual Meeting.
- "Mission-Driven Business, the Social Purpose Corporation, and You," De Novo, Aug. 2012 (with Ben Golden).
- "JOBS Act Changes Business as Usual," HCMP Legislative Alert, April 2012.
- "Washington Welcomes a New Kind of Business Entity: the Social Purpose Corporation," HCMP Legislative Alert, April 2012.
- "Copyright 'Band-Aids' and the Future of Reform," 34 Seattle University Law Review 1545 (2011)
- Washington State Bar Association
Editorial Advisory Committee
- King County Bar Association
- QLaw - The GLBT Bar Association of Washington
- Urban Land Institute
- Washington Lawyers for the Arts
- Greater Seattle Business Association
- Board of Directors, Pacific MusicWorks
- Recognized as a Rising Star in Washington Super Lawyers in 2016-2018
- King County Bar Association Young Lawyers Division Mentorship Award Finalist, 2016
- King County Bar Association President’s Award, 2015
- J.D., Seattle University School of Law, summa cum laude, 2011
Editor in Chief, Seattle University Law Review, 2010 - 2011
Class of 2011 Recipient of the Dean's Medal
Co-President, Outlaws, 2009 - 2011
Teaching Assistant for First-Year Property Course
- M.M., University of Colorado-Boulder, Voice Performance and Vocal Pedagogy, 2006
- B.A., Luther College, magna cum laude, Music and Sociology, 2003
Pi Kappa Lambda
Weston Noble Scholar
I'm originally from Iowa but now call Seattle home. In my spare time, I enjoy listening to and singing classical music; the occasional hike; and curling up to read a book with my whippet, Zephyr, and my Italian greyhound, Gina Lollobrigida.