Katie’s practice focuses on lender services and real estate transactions, including loan documentation and negotiation, loan modifications and workouts, the acquisition, leasing and development of real property, preparation of condominium documents, and the establishment of condominium and homeowners associations. Katie represents various local, regional, and national financial institutions to close complex commercial loans. She also works with buyers and sellers of residential and commercial real estate, and advises clients on condominium law.
- Represented national bank to simultaneously close three syndicated healthcare loans secured by assisted living facilities in three states.
- Represented regional bank to close income property loan secured by single-tenant building occupied by government agency.
- Advised various lenders on the management of foreclosed properties governed by homeowners and condominium associations and the risks associated with acquiring community governed projects.
- Represented for profit and nonprofit developers in the creation of traditional and “airspace” condominium projects, including preparation of condominium declarations, public offering statements, condominium association bylaws, rules and regulations.
- Advised various developers on compliance with FHA, Fannie Mae, and VA condominium financing guidelines.
- Worked with various lenders to develop form document sets for more complex real estate finance transactions.
- Author, Ask a Legal Professional, Puget Sound Business Journal (Tenant Estoppels), February 2018
- Author, Ask a Legal Professional, Puget Sound Business Journal (Short-Term Rental Ban), February 2017
- Author, Ask a Legal Professional, Puget Sound Business Journal (Tenant Estoppels), February 2016
- Author, Ask a Legal Professional, Puget Sound Business Journal (SNDAs), February 2015
- Author, Ask a Legal Professional, Puget Sound Business Journal (Risk of Loss Under PSA), February 2014
- Author, Ask a Legal Professional, Puget Sound Business Journal (Condominium Liens), February 2013
- Speaker, “Green Leasing: An HCMP Client Seminar; Incorporating Green Concepts into New and Existing Leases,” July 16, 2009
- Co-author of Washington Real Property Deskbook, Chapter 8, Running Covenants (4th Edition 2009)
- K. Chapman, S. Marchesano, and N. Timchalk (co-authors), Real Property Practice Chapter (Real Estate Financing and Security Devices), Washington Lawyers Practice Manual, King County Bar Association (2016)
- King County Bar Association
- Washington State Bar Association
- Washington Women Lawyers
- Recognized as a Rising Star by Washington Super Lawyers in 2016 - 2018
- Named on the Top Women Attorneys list in Washington Super Lawyers, 2016 - 2017
- J.D., University of Washington School of Law, with honors, 2007
Extern to the Honorable Chief Judge Robert Lasnik, U.S. District Court,
Western District of Washington, 2006
Internship, Washington State Office of the Attorney General, 2005 - 2006
- B.A., Colgate University, summa cum laude, 2001
Phi Beta Kappa
I enjoy biking, hiking, camping and skiing; spending time with my husband and daughters; and hanging out at the local dog park with my Bernese mountain dog.