Joel’s practice focuses on public finance, with an emphasis on representation of governmental issuers and nonprofit borrowers in a wide variety of financings utilizing tax-exempt and taxable bonds. Joel also provides advice and legal representation to businesses, both large and small, in connection with business combinations and reorganizations, financings, federal and state securities compliance, and other commercial transactions.
- Represented continuing care retirement communities, independent schools, universities, healthcare providers, social service organizations and other nonprofit organizations in connection with the financing and refinancing of capital projects utilizing tax-exempt and taxable bonds issued by the Washington State Housing Finance Commission, the Washington Health Care Facilities Authority, the Washington Economic Development Finance Authority, and the Washington Higher Education Facilities Authority.
- Represented National Development Council and related nonprofit corporations with respect to the structuring, development and financing of various housing and economic development projects, including student housing, medical laboratory facilities, government offices, and a multilevel parking garage which was sold to the City of Seattle as part of the Pacific Place Project in downtown Seattle.
- Represented Horizon Airlines in connection with its initial public offering, a subsequent preferred stock offering, and additional securities transactions. Represented the principal shareholder of Horizon Airlines in connection with the acquisition of Horizon by Alaska Airlines.
- Represented the developers of a 20-megawatt hydroelectric facility in western Washington in connection with the construction and term financing for the project and in connection with the subsequent restructuring of the ownership of the project and $45 million refinancing.
- Washington State Bar Association
Executive Committee, 1994-2001, 2003-2017
Committee on Third-Party Legal Opinions in Commercial Transactions,
- Intiman Theatre, Seattle, Washington
Co-Chair of Artistic Director Search Committee, 1999
Vice Chair of Managing Director Search Committee, 2008
- Named to the 2019 edition of Best Lawyers in America®
- A/V Preeminent Lawyer, Martindale Hubbell
- Repeatedly recognized as a Super Lawyer by Washington Super Lawyers
- Law Clerk to The Honorable Dolores K. Sloviter, U.S. Third Circuit Court of Appeals, 1981-1983
- J.D., University of Chicago Law School, cum laude, 1981
Associate Editor, University of Chicago Law Review
- A.B., Harvard College, magna cum laude, 1976
English history, hiking, theatre, and travel.