As team leader of HCMP’s litigation practice, Jake is an experienced trial and appellate litigator. His practice features a significant roster of clients, including public, private, and non-profit entities. Jake counsels and defends clients on a variety of complex litigation matters, including securities, antitrust, intellectual property, municipal law, employment, commercial contracts, real estate, and federal and state constitutional law. He has successfully represented clients at all levels of state and federal court, and in arbitration and mediation.
Jake is also a member of the firm’s Management Committee. He is passionate about community involvement, and has served on the boards of Lifelong AIDS Alliance and Schools First.
- Represents the University of Washington in a variety of complex matters, including significant contract and employment disputes.
- Represents a same-sex couple in a nationally prominent discrimination lawsuit against a Washington business, Arlene’s Flowers, that refused to provide flowers for the couple’s wedding.
- Represented a non-profit low-income housing provider in litigation involving the federal Low-Income Housing Tax Credit (LIHTC) statute.
- Defended a local city and its police officers in state and federal cases alleging unconstitutional police conduct.
- Counsel for Seattle-based supermarket chain Uwajimaya in a contract and trademark dispute in federal courts in New Jersey and Washington.
- Defense of a Canadian manufacturer in nationwide price-fixing class actions filed in federal courts in Washington and New York.
- Defended a Taiwanese manufacturer of LCD panels in antitrust cases in state and federal courts in Washington and in multi-district federal litigation in California.
- Counsel for Credit Suisse in securities actions arising from the sales of mortgage-backed securities.
- Frequent pro bono counsel in matters of national and regional significance.
- Filed amicus brief in federal court on behalf of bipartisan group of former government officials--including former Secretaries of State, Defense, and Homeland Security--opposed to the diversion of Department of Defense funds to the construction of a border wall with Mexico.
- Filed amicus brief in federal court on behalf of a bipartisan group of former national security officials--including former Democratic and Republican Secretaries of Defense--in support of transgender service members in Karnoski v. Trump.
- Filed amicus brief in the U.S. Supreme Court on behalf of a group of U.S. Episcopal Bishops in opposition to the Trump Administration's travel bans.
- Filed, on behalf of the ACLU of Washington, amicus brief in federal court in support of the First Amendment right of a non-profit to provide free legal services to immigrants in Northwest Immigrant Rights Project v. Sessions.
- On behalf of dozens of national and regional low-income housing providers, filed amicus brief in federal court in New York in case involving nationally important issues arising from the Low-Income Housing Tax Credit (LIHTC) statute.
- Panelist, King County Superior Court and QLaw Pride CLE – Two Steps Forward; One Step Back: The State of LGBTQ Rights, June 25, 2018
- Panelist, Federal Bar Association of the Western District of Washington Annual CLE – Public Accommodation Law and the Constitution, December 6, 2017
- Panelist, CLE Seminar hosted by the Puget Sound Lawyers Chapter of The Federalist Society – Arlene's Flowers and Religious Objections to Laws, June 22, 2015
- Keynote Speaker, Legal Clinic Training hosted by QLaw, the GLBT Bar Association of Washington: Florists, Photographers, Bakers & Same-Sex Weddings – the Law, Defenses, and Impact of Arlene’s Flowers on Clients, Counsel, and the Community, April 10, 2015
- Panelist, University of Washington School of Law Diversity Week panel discussion about Arlene’s Flowers, February 26, 2015
- King County Bar Association
- Washington State Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association, Western District of Washington
- Lifelong AIDS Alliance, Board of Directors, 2010 - 2016
- Schools First, Board of Directors, 2012 - present
- Volunteer Professional Mentor, University of Washington School of Law, 2009 - 2012
- King County Bar Association President's Award for work on Ingersoll v. Arlene's Flowers
- Repeatedly recognized as a Super Lawyer by Washington Super Lawyers, most recently in 2021.
- Law Clerk to the Honorable Robert E. Payne, U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia, 2006 - 2007
- Legislative Assistant to U.S. Senator Gordon Smith, Washington, D.C., 2001 - 2003
- J.D., University of Virginia School of Law, 2006
- A.B., Harvard College, magna cum laude, 2000
I spend nearly all my free time with my wife and our three children. They don't leave much time for my other favorite activities—reading magazines and watching large quantities of television—so I try to sneak those things in while the kids are sleeping.