A. Michael Edwards
Legal Assistant: Ann Sneen
Michael’s practice focuses on assisting clients in business and real estate transactions.
Business. Leveraging his experience of serving as outside counsel and acting general counsel to a real estate tech startup, Michael has a unique understanding of the challenges businesses face. He recognizes clients’ need for dynamic legal counsel focused on solving problems with effective—and often creative—solutions. He is a trusted advisor to a variety of company leaders and board members, assisting with fundraising strategy, investor relations, and policy concerns. He also advises businesses on compliance with a wide range of laws and regulations, from employment, data privacy, and data security laws to local landlord-tenant laws and short-term rental regulations.
Harnessing his firsthand experience in the business sector, Michael has a keen understanding of helping businesses navigate risk to enable them to strike the delicate balance between acting quickly to take advantage opportunities while managing the associated legal concerns.
Real Estate. Michael has a depth of experience in commercial and residential real estate that enables him to provide the custom-tailored guidance necessary in complicated real estate transactions. In the commercial context, he has counseled clients on the purchase, sale, development, financing, and leasing of large commercial properties. In the residential context, Michael’s experience in-house put him at the cutting edge of short-term rental regulations and their interaction with landlord-tenant laws and fair housing laws nationwide. Michael drafted consumer-facing program documents, including supply-side master leases subleases, and related documents designed to comply with rapidly-changing regulatory requirements.
Through his work, Michael has collaborated closely with lawmakers and policy advocates to participate in state and local discussions on short-term rental laws to help shape sensible regulations beneficial to all stakeholders.
Other areas of focus include:
- Entity Formation and Operation
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Intellectual Property
- Securities Offerings
- Regulatory Research and Guidance
- COVID-19 Response Strategy
- Human Resources
- Represent a tech startup in connection with its novel program to create discounted rent opportunities by leveraging short-term rental possibilities.
- Represent a real estate investment firm with sale, development, leasing, and operational matters relating to its national portfolio of industrial and commercial properties.
- Represent a regional healthcare network in connection with purchases, sales, and medical-office leasing matters.
- Represent a real estate joint venture in connection with acquisitions of commercial office and mixed-use properties in Seattle, Portland, Denver, and Salt Lake City.
- Represent commercial landlords in connection with leasing retail, restaurant, warehouse, and other commercial spaces throughout the Pacific Northwest.
- Represent various startups in connection with regulatory matters in the fintech and real estate sectors to, among other things, obtain approval from Fannie Mae and other governmental authorities for experimental pilot program related to residential home financing.
- Represent commercial lenders in making loans secured by real property and other collateral, including reviewing the condition of title and drafting and negotiating agreements related to title and priority issues.
- Ask a Legal Professional, Puget Sound Business Journal (Short-Term Tenant Laws), August 2017
- Legal Issues Surrounding Short-Term Rentals, NW Lawyer, June/July 2017 issue
- Meritas Young Lawyer, 2019
- In-House Corporate Counsel, Loftium, Inc., 2019 – 2020
- Corporate Attorney, Hillis Clark Martin & Peterson P.S., 2014 - 2019
- Legal Intern, Seattle Children's Hospital, 2013
- Judicial Extern to Judge Bruce E. Heller, King County Superior Court, 2012
J.D., University of Washington School of Law, with honors, 2014
Associate Editor-in-Chief, Washington Law Review
Co-President, Student Health Law Organization
Member, Jessup International Moot Court Team
Vice President of Development, Moot Court Honor Board
B.A., Communications, Brigham Young University, 2010
Editor-in-Chief, BYU Daily Universe
Washington Seminar Program Participant
I grew up in the Pacific Northwest and—together with my two daughters and two cats—am proud to call this incredible place home. I am an avid runner and love reading, cooking, hiking, camping, and gaming whenever I can find the time (though not necessarily in that order).