Joe has a lender and banking industry focused insolvency and bankruptcy litigation practice, representing creditors in both Oregon and Washington. For more than two decades he has provided common sense advice and no-nonsense representation to the HCMP’s financial institution clients. Joe represents lenders and secured creditors on matters ranging from workouts and prejudgment remedies to active participation in complex litigation cases and bankruptcies. Joe has successfully represented clients in a full range of litigation settings including arbitrations, bench and jury trials. Over his 25-year career Joe has appeared as creditor counsel in over 500 bankruptcies up and down the West Coast and across the U.S. His cross-border insolvency work has spanned the globe associating with co-counsel in countries including Japan, China, United Arab Emirates, Portugal, Italy, the Netherlands, and the Cayman Islands.
- Represented various creditors in bankruptcy cases nationwide, including: Evergreen Vintage Aircraft, Michael Mastro, Eddie Bauer, Enron North America, Mirant, and NextWave Wireless.
- Handles adversary proceedings in bankruptcies as well as expedited evidentiary hearings in state court. For instance, the bankruptcy court appointed Joe Special Litigation Counsel to the Debtor-in-Possession - In re Partners Mortgage Corporation, where he recovered several million dollars for creditors.
- Assists banks with internal investigations, including chairing special board committees, crisis management, leading internal investigations and advising clients on corporate governance and compliance issues.
- Represented the plaintiff in a multi-week jury trial involving allegations of harassment and invasion of privacy. We prevailed at trial and successfully collected the client’s judgment.
- Led the trial defense of a secured creditor in a title insurance and lien priority action, involving a prominent mixed-use development, where claims exceeded $4,000,000.
- Led the discovery team during the defense of The New England Mutual Life Insurance Company and Copley Real Estate Advisors in Lawsuits brought by the Washingotn State Investment Board, which asserted claims toaling $1.2 billion for securities fraud and breach of fiduciary duties. We resolved this matter before trial.
- Member of defense team in an Alaska antitrust class action arising out of the Bristol Bay salmon industry. Plaintiffs sought compensatory and punitive damages totaling $975 million; our team negotiated a favorable settlement prior to trial.
- Presenter, "Issues with Intercreditor Agreements and Cross Collateralization," HCMP Lender Services Seminar, March 27, 2018
- "Oregon Passes a Comprehensive Receivership Code" June 2017
- WorkSmart Seminar, Realizing on Security Interests in Collateral
- WorkSmart Seminar, Mechanics Liens
- WorkSmart Seminar, Cash Collateral and Cramdowns, Chapter 11 Bankruptcies
- American Bar Association
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- Washington State Bar Association
- Oregon State Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association for the Western District of Washington
- King County Bar Foundation
Future of the Law Institute – Volunteer Mentor
- Cooperating Attorney A.C.L.U. of Washington
- University of Washington School of Law
Professional Mentorship Program
Former Member – Board of Directors
- Seattle Youth Lacrosse Club
Youth Lacrosse Coach
- Law Clerk to Chief Judge Richard P. Matsch of the U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado
- University of Washington School of Law, J. D., 1993
Executive Comments Editor, Pacific Rim Law and Policy Journal
- Whitman College, B.A., with honors and distinction, 1990
Awarded College Founder's Award
I am a proud native of South Seattle and enjoy spending time in the city during my free time. I enjoy coaching youth lacrosse, playing soccer, and stand up paddle boarding.