Since 1984, Irene has served as underwriter’s counsel, borrower’s counsel, credit enhancer’s counsel or bond counsel in a host of bond financings for health care, long term care, senior housing, educational institutions, cultural institutions and other 501(c)(3) organizations. She is one of the attorneys responsible for the firm’s federal and state securities law practice, and has significant experience in the critical areas of primary and secondary market disclosure, and the other securities laws issues relating to state and local governmental bonds.
Irene has focused her practice on representation of underwriters, independent schools, retirement communities and social service organizations in connection with such entities’ tax-exempt and taxable financings, including the following:
- Schools: Eastside Catholic School, Seattle Preparatory School, St. Thomas School, The Bush School, Villa Academy, Seattle Country Day School, Open Window School, Jewish Day School.
- Underwriters: Piper Jaffray & Co., B.C. Ziegler & Company, Merrill Lynch, Pierce, Fenner & Smith Incorporated.
- Social Service Organizations: Pioneer Human Services, Tacoma Goodwill of the Olympics and Rainier Region, Seattle Goodwill Industries, YMCA of Snohomish County, Lutheran Community Services, Jewish Family Services, Asian Counseling and Referral Service.
- Retirement Communities: Presbyterian Retirement Services Northwest, Rogue Valley Manor, Riverview Retirement Communities, Horizon House, Kline Galland Center.
- Co-author of the “Tax exempt Bond Financing and Long-Term Financing” chapter in the Washington Health Law Manual.
- Irene has served on the 501(c)(3) and the Health Care Financing panels at numerous conferences sponsored by the National Association of Bond Lawyers.
- King County Bar Association
- Washington Association of Housing and Services for the Aging
- The Bush School
Board of Trustees (1998 - 2008), President (2006 - 2008)
Executive Committee, (2000 - 2008)
- The Kline Galland Center
Board of Trustees (2003 - 2006; 2008 - 2011; 2012 - present)
Finance Committee (2003 - 2006; 2008 - 2011; 2012 - present)
- The Rainer Club
Board of Trustees (1999 - 2001) (2008 - 2009)
Executive Committee (2008 - 2009)
Heritage Fund (2008 - present)
The Rainier Club Historic Foundation (2008 - present)
Rainier Arts and Library Foundation (2008 - present)
Development Task Force (2006 - present)
- A/V Preeminent Lawyer, Martindale Hubbell
- Repeatedly named a Super Lawyer by Washington Super Lawyers
- One of 2013 Top Women Attorneys in Washington
- LL.M. (Corporate Law), New York University School of Law, 1982
- J.D., Seattle University School of Law, 1978 (formerly University of Puget Sound Law School)
- M.A., New York University, 1973
- B.A., State University of New York at Binghamton, 1971