Ed is a member of the firm’s Real Estate and Land Use groups, providing critical insight and advice to his clients on the acquisition, development, and sale of real property. His ability to creatively problem-solve paired with his solutions-based approach informs his commitment to getting the best possible outcome for his clients. Ed has significant experience in a variety of real estate and business matters, including the acquisition and sale of commercial properties, structuring business entities, conducting due diligence research, preparing commercial lease agreements, and ensuring regulatory compliance.
Before joining HCMP, Ed worked for several years at a transactional real estate firm in his home state of Hawaii. He is also passionate about the importance of providing quality, affordable legal counsel to those who need it most, and maintains a robust pro bono practice through which he provides consultations to new and prospective small business owners looking to get their businesses off the ground. Ed’s favorite thing about his practice is seeing the end result of a project: a physical structure--whether that be much-needed low income housing, a wind farm, or a luxury high-rise--that he helped bring into reality.
- Closed the sale of two apartment complexes (representing the seller) with a combined price tag of over $160M back to back.
- Lead associate for a $350 million sale of commercial shopping center.
- Prepared and revised documentation and government filings related to $150 million commercial loan, including draft of related opinions.
- Led due diligence, documentation and compliance review of $123 million energy company merger.
- Drafted documentation for sale of $110 million commercial leasehold interest underlying commercial shopping center.
- Prepared commercial lease agreements, including drafting of intellectual property protection clauses, for biofuel company.
- Coordinated and supervised all aspects of document production with respect to $100 million sale of 182 parcels to commercial developer.
- Prepared documents and coordinated logistics related to sale of $78 million office building and related partial release from loan.
- Reviewed and drafted condominium documents relating to condominium conversion of existing commercial building.
- Provided pre-acquisition analysis of title and land use issues related to potential acquisition of industrial parcels.
- Negotiated and coordinated the production of closing documents relating to back-to-back $26 million sale of parcel and New York Style closing of sale of $41 million parcel.
- Drafted documentation for concurrent $99 million and $125 million refinance of loans relating to commercial properties.
- Assisted in preparing conveyance and corporate documents relating to affordable housing development.
Hawaii State Bar Association, Real Property and Financial Services Section, Director and Member, 2018-2019
Hawaii State Bar Association, Leadership Institute, Fellow, 2017-2018
Lehigh University Alumni Interviewer
Business Law Corps, Volunteer, 2017-2019
Associate Attorney, Schneider Tanaka Radovich Andrew & Tanaka, LLLC 2014-2019
Law Clerk, First Circuit Court, State of Hawai’i, 2013-2014
Legal Intern, United States Department of Commerce, Office of General Counsel, 2012-2013
Law Extern, United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, 2012
Clerk, United States Environmental Protection Agency, Office of Enforcement and Compliance Assurance, 2012
Law Extern, Baltimore City Circuit Court, State of Maryland, 2011
Law Extern, First Circuit Court, State of Hawai’i, 2011
J.D., University of Maryland School of Law, 2013
Managing Editor, Journal of Health Care Law & Policy
B.S. in Finance, Lehigh University, 2010
In his free time, Ed loves practicing Brazilian jiu-jitsu and enjoying the outdoors with his dog, Dim Sum.
Mandarin Chinese, Conversational