Doug's practice focuses on a broad range of business and real estate matters, including the representation of many overseas companies in the U.S., and acting as general counsel to companies and individuals. Over the years his representative clients have spanned a variety of industries, from fish processing to real estate development, and from the wholesale and retail of food products to the manufacture of printers and fiber optic switches. Doug's specific experience includes the structuring, formation, acquisition, financing, operation and disposition of business entities; commercial agreements; real estate acquisition, development and leasing; and international business transactions. Prior to returning to Seattle, Doug practiced in a Tokyo law firm where he primarily represented U.S. and other foreign companies entering into joint ventures, technology licenses and other business arrangements in Japan.
- Structuring the purchase of U.S. real estate interests yielding accelerated depreciation to Japanese investors.
- General counsel in the U.S. to a Hong Kong-based conglomerate. Activities in the U.S. have included real estate and golf course development and sale of plywood and other wood products in the U.S. produced by their mills in China.
- General counsel for a Seattle-based supermarket chain, specializing in Asian specialty items, including in connection with the development of their flagship store as a mixed-use residential and commercial project and of an adjacent half block as a HUD-insured and historic tax credit project.
- Counsel for small local company with patented product negotiating a long-term exclusive relationship with a large national corporation.
- King County Bar Association
- Washington State Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Japan-America Society of the State of Washington, Director (current) and Past Board Chair, 2010-2011
- Named to the 2019 edition of Best Lawyers in America®
- A/V Preeminent Lawyer, Martindale Hubbell
- National Defense Foreign Language Fellowship (Chinese), 1968-1969
- J.D. Harvard Law School, cum laude, 1969
- A.B., Yale University, Chinese Studies, cum laude, 1966
I love skiing, white-water kayaking and scuba diving, and have recently taken up an even more challenging sport - golf. In addition, I enjoy cooking from time to time and travel that is off the beaten track whenever I can.
- Conversant in Japanese and Mandarin Chinese