Brandon’s practice focuses on public finance and municipal securities law. He has extensive experience serving as bond, disclosure, underwriter and bank counsel for a wide variety of tax-exempt and taxable financings, particularly in the fields of government, nonprofit health care, and affordable housing financing. He also routinely represents nonprofit borrowers in conduit financings with state agencies like the Washington State Housing Finance Commission and Washington Higher Education Facilities Authority.
Brandon also advises issuers, underwriters and banks on compliance with SEC securities laws and MSRB rulemakings affecting the municipal securities market.
- Bond counsel to Washington Health Care Facilities Authority for a variety of bond offerings to finance health care facilities throughout the Washington State, ranging from large, regional hospital systems to rural health clinics.
- Bond and disclosure counsel to King and Snohomish Counties for a variety of tax-exempt and taxable limited tax general obligation bond offerings, including green bond offerings.
- Bond counsel to various Washington cities, fire districts, library capital facilities areas, and local improvement districts.
- Bank counsel for a variety of tax-exempt and taxable bond purchases throughout the Pacific Northwest and Intermountain West region, including bonds secured by general obligations, special assessments, and specific revenue pledges.
- Bank counsel for term and construction loan financing for affordable housing projects utilizing low income housing tax credits, including 4% and 9% tax credit structures.
- Underwriter’s counsel for tax-exempt and taxable bond offerings for nonprofit health care systems in the Pacific Northwest and public hospital districts in Washington State, including financings secured by hospital revenues and property taxes.
- Borrower’s counsel to several retirement communities throughout Washington State for direct placements and public offerings through the Washington State Housing Finance Commission, ranging from small refinancings to large, phased campus repositioning of multi-campus communities.
- Borrower’s counsel to a variety of colleges, private schools and social service organizations for direct placements through the Washington State Housing Finance Commission, Washington Higher Education Facilities Authority, and the Washington Economic Development Finance Authority.
- Panelist, Securities Law Hot Topics, National Association of Bond Lawyers Workshop, October 2019
- Committee Chair and Co-Author, white paper entitled SEC Rule 15c2-12 Amendments NABL Member Questions and Practical Considerations, published July 2019
- Co-author, Chapter on Tax Exempt Bond Financing and Long-Term Financing, Washington Health Law Manual, Fourth Edition, published by the Washington State Society of Healthcare Attorneys Association in 2019
- Panelist, Tax-Exempt Bond Financing and Long-Term Financing, Spring 2019 Conference of the Washington State Society of Healthcare Attorneys Association
- Panelist, Bank Direct Purchase and WHCFA Quick Loan Program, Washington Health Care Facilities Authority Borrower’s Conference, November 2019
- National Association of Bond Lawyers, Vice Chair of the Securities Law and Disclosure Committee
- Northwest Immigrant Rights Project, Pro Bono representation of asylum applicant
- Si View Parks youth basketball league, Volunteer Coach
- Rising Star, Washington Super Lawyers, 2017-2020
- Rising Star, Mountain States Super Lawyers, 2014 and 2015
- Associate, Chapman and Cutler LLP, Salt Lake City, Utah, 2011 - 2015
- Law Clerk, Judge Ted Stewart, United States District Court, District of Utah
- J.D., J. Reuben Clark Law School, Brigham Young University, 2010, magna cum laude
Editorial Board, Lead Articles Editor, Brigham Young University Law
Review, 2009 - 2010
Associate Editor, Brigham Young University Law Review, 2008 - 2009
- B.A., University of Utah, 2007, magna cum laude
I enjoy running, mountain biking or hiking with my family in the Cascade foothills, navigating local lakes on my stand-up paddle board, and grilling – no matter the season or weather.