Andy is a versatile civil litigator whose practice focuses on disputes involving real property, particularly land use appeals. Andy also has experience with disputes involving employment law, municipal law, company dissolution, contract interpretation, construction, product liability, securities, intellectual property, and state and federal constitutional law.
Andy is experienced in navigating procedurally complex litigation, as his cases often involve class actions or multiple related actions pending in different courts. Andy has applied his experience in successfully representing businesses and individuals in state and federal trial and appellate courts, administrative hearings, arbitration forums, and mediations.
Before Andy became a lawyer, he ran a nonprofit organization dedicated to eliminating prescription drug-related unintentional overdose deaths.
- Obtained dismissal of all claims in a land use appeal regarding alleged noncompliance with Washington State Environmental Policy and Growth Management Acts.
- Obtained summary judgment dismissal of a land use appeal before the Shorelines Hearings Board alleging dozens of violations of the Shoreline Management Act.
- Obtained dismissals of three land use appeals involving development of an affordable housing community.
- Prevailed at trial in defending a manufacturing company against allegations of retaliation against former employee. Perez v. Pac. Ship Repair & Fabrication, Inc., No. C14-1773-JCC, 2015 WL 7292594 (W.D. Wash. Nov. 16, 2015).
- Obtained dismissal of wage theft and breach of contract claims brought by former employee, and dismissal was upheld on appeal.
- Obtained dismissal of claims of race, age, gender, and national origin discrimination against employer.
- In connection with multidistrict class action litigation, represented business in seeking tax refunds from over 150 municipalities across the State of Washington.
- Successfully represented business in administrative appeal of prevailing wage determination.
- Represented plaintiffs in class action against the United States regarding taking of real property.
- Represented business and primary shareholder in recovering high-value real property collateral following rescission of underlying loan.
- Defended a Fortune 500 Company in private arbitration against former subsidiary involving breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duties, and indemnification claims. Settled multi-million dollar dispute for less than half of one percent of the damages alleged by claimants.
- Andrew Murphy & Laura Zanzig, Exhaustion of Administrative Remedies in Washington State, 91 Wash. L. Rev. 217 (2016).
- Panelist, University of Washington School of Law discussion with international legal practitioners regarding discovery in the United States; February 24, 2017 and February 26, 2016.
- Andy is an Affiliate Instructor of Law at the University of Washington School of Law, where he teaches Trial Advocacy
- King County Bar Association Amicus Brief Committee, Member
- QLaw, Member
- Lifelong AIDS Alliance, Board of Directors
- Greater Seattle Business Association, Member
- University of Washington School of Law Willem C. Vis International Commercial Arbitration Moot Team, Head Coach
- Recognized as a 2018 Rising Star by Washington Super Lawyers
- King County Bar Association President’s Award, 2015
- Judge John C. Coughenour Award for Best Oral Advocate, 2013
- Hugh Miracle Award for Best Opening Statement, 2013
- Extern to the Honorable Steven C. González, Washington State Supreme Court, 2012
- J.D., University of Washington School of Law
Order of the Barristers
Moot Court Honor Board Executive Committee
Michael Thorsnes International Arbitration Competition, Champion and
CALI Excellence for the Future Award: Trial Advocacy II
- H.B.S. Gender Studies and B.S. Economics, University of Utah, cum laude
I have never lost a game of Scene It, and I am ruthless when playing parlor games.