Jack advises leaders of governmental agencies – and their business partners – on transactions, cooperative projects, and major policy initiatives so that clients can achieve their program goals through available legal tools and maintain compliance with complex statutory and regulatory requirements.
Over the past three decades, Jack has advised and represented three of the region’s largest public agencies: King County, the City of Seattle, and the University of Washington. As the chief counsel for the University of Washington, Jack was immersed in legal issues as diverse as the activities of this large public university—ranging from federal and state health care to NCAA athletic compliance, and from academic misconduct to technology development. He has helped shape innovative public-private projects, including the King County Aquatic Center, Benaroya Hall, and the Center for Pediatric Dentistry. Jack has also worked out cooperative agreements involving a variety of complex entities, such as Airlift Northwest, the UW Alumni Association, and Friends of KEXP. He has extensive experience with the laws and regulations governing public entities, including public records, public meetings, government contracts, ethics laws, and personnel regulations, and has provided training across those subjects. He enjoys anticipating and solving problems of all types.
Jack has spoken and trained on public employee ethics, public records, attorney-client relations, public-private partnerships, and electronic discovery.
- Public Disclosure Commission - Commissioner 2016 - 2018
- Habitat for Humanity - various local and international projects, 2002 - present
- Rolling Bay Presbyterian Church - Elder, 1991 - present
- University of Washington - Mentor, 1st Year Law Students, 1995 - 2010
- First Place School - Volunteer Teaching Assistant, 1998 - 2001
- Volunteer Work in Mexico, Zimbabwe, Peru, Haiti, Guatemala and U.S.
- Seattle Management Association - Board of Directors
- Bainbridge Education Support Team - Board of Directors
- A/V Preeminent Lawyer, Martindale Hubbell
- Chief of Staff, Office of President, University of Washington
- Advised UW president, carried out special projects, oversaw president’s staff.
- City Attorney, City of Bainbridge Island, Washington
- Responsible for all legal affairs of City of Bainbridge Island, advised City Council and administration and managed outside counsel.
- Chief, UW Division, Washington Attorney General's Office
- Served as general counsel, advising Board of Regents and University administration and managing the 15-attorney division and large volume of outside counsel in connection with contracts, personnel, open government law, finance, healthcare, intellectual property, land use, estate, and other subjects.
- Chief Civil Attorney, Seattle City Attorney's Office
- Advised Mayor and City Council and supervised the 45-attorney Civil Division of Seattle Law Department providing City government with legal advice and representation on all aspects of civil municipal law.
- Deputy Attorney, Civil Division, King County Prosecuting Attorney
- Advised and represented King County government on variety of issues, with emphasis on contract law.
- Supervised other attorneys in contracts, personnel, discrimination, and municipal finance.
- Arbitrator, King County Superior Court
- Presided over arbitration proceedings in connection with Mandatory Arbitration Program.
- J.D., University of Washington, with honors, 1980
- B.A., University of Washington, 1976
I like exploring and tinkering with things, so I'm often juggling home projects, car maintenance, my acoustic guitar, volunteer work, and trying to get better at basic Spanish and Italian. Pam and I also love to spend time with our daughters and their husbands and to travel, both for fun and to do service projects.